Derek : You should come visit me one day!
Derek: San Francisco!!
Me: Okay I will! I am planning an road trip for 2 months to the states anyways. (So, I plan to visit him on the 5th Feb but I got into a car accident. I decided to take 3 months off work so i get to travel for a bit before changing industry. I just never thought that it would be so addictive once I start to travel. I am currently using the wifi in the Mcdonalds , San Francisco.)
I was glad that I did not give up in completing my initial plan to complete my road trip because of the car accident. The original plan was to meet up with my ex-coworkers in Miami during March Break. Plans changed and it is way too hard to plan my trip one week in advance. I usually sent last minute request to couchsurfers in each states. If my host canceled on my request last minute, I will have to sleep in my car for the night. I do not mind doing that because I have a mattress at my back seat.
My adventure so far is amazing and tiring at the same time. After 6 days of driving, sightseeing, eating, cooking, shower, sleeping, hanging out with locals and hiking, I arrived in San Francisco!!! YAHHHHHH ME!! (Insert Poop Emoji :>). According to google map, it takes about 40 hours of non stop driving. I know I could have flew to San Francisco instead but what’s the fun of it?If not I would not be able to explore Chicago, Colorado, Pennsylvania and Utah. It was a very long drive for me but I think it was worth it!
The challenges I encounter during my Cross Country Road Trip from Toronto to San Francisco.
- Taking free cold showers in rest areas
- Cooking on the go without an actual stove
- Eating Healthy
- Finding a free overnight parking
- Sleeping in the cold (-11 degree Celsius)
- Saving $$$$$ on accommodations and food (couch surfing helps only if you know exactly where you are going to be, sometimes you just want to wonder longer in one area)
- Unsafe free overnight public parking
- Car accident
- Weight Gain
The highlights of my Cross Country Road Trip so far:
- I get to spend 2 weeks with a successful tattoo artist/drummer in Erie Pennsylvania.
- First Ever 3 mile solo mountain hiking to Delicate Arch in Utah.
- Tasted the most delicious Red Velvet Cupcakes at Baby Stacks Cafe 2400 N Buffalo Dr Las Vegas , NV 89128.
- Visit the bean in Chicago.
- Learn to appreciate a life of a truck driver/RV drivers.
- Learn to save on accommodation and food by sleeping in my car, taking cold shower in washrooms, finding free overnight parking and cooking instant noodles/canned soup with my portable propane.
- Driving through a stormy weather along Iowa and Nebraska.
- Visited Derek ,my friend/photographer after 5 years.
Met up with Derek in Twin Peak , San Francisco
Name one thing that you like about traveling: Hearing people’s testimony
Name : Tim
Name one thing that you like about traveling: Journey getting to a destination
Name one thing that you like about traveling: Experience new culture and food